Benefits of Alaska VA Loans for Veterans. 

Veterans and Service Members, you’ve earned your VA eligibility- apply for your VA Loan today and become a homeowner in the beautiful State of Alaska! Alaska offers generous Financial Benefits, Employment Benefits, Education Benefits, Land Discount/Purchase Preference, Recreation and Other Benefits to its Veterans and Service Members. Call the beautiful State of Alaska your home today!

Financial Benefits

Does the State of Alaska offer Property Tax Exemption for Veterans?

Yes. A disabled Veteran whose disability occurred in the line of duty and is rated at 50 percent or more by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is exempt from taxation on the first $150,000 of their property’s assessed valuation. To qualify, the real property must be owned and occupied as the primary residence of the Veteran or their surviving spouse who is at least 60 years old.

Does the State of Alaska offer any other Tax Advantages?

Yes. There is no state income tax in Alaska, and no sales tax in most locations--62 municipalities impose a sales tax of 2% - 7.5%. In addition, retirement income is not taxed by the State of Alaska.

Does the State of Alaska provide a Death Gratuity to Veterans?

Yes. The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs will provide a death gratuity of $750 to the surviving spouse, or personal representative if there is no surviving spouse, of a qualified Veteran. A qualified Veteran must be a resident of the State of Alaska at the time of death. Contact your local Veteran’s office for more information and to apply.

What is the State of Alaska’s Veterans Land Discount Program?

The Veterans Land Discount Program provides Veterans with a land discount and purchase preference on State owned residential and recreational land. Under Alaska’s Veterans Land Sale Preference, a Veteran has the exclusive opportunity to purchase land at a restricted sale at fair market value. Veterans may receive up to a 25% discount on the purchase price. Parcels offered under this program must be five acres or less and must be classified as settlement or residential use only. A Veteran may receive this discount once in their lifetime. For more information contact the Alaska Department of Natural Resources, Division of Mining, Land and Water Management at (907) 269-8400.

What is Alaska’s Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD)?

The State of Alaska offers an annual dividend to ALL Alaskan residents. In 2014, the amount was $1,884 per person. To be eligible, you must be a resident of the State of Alaska for one year preceding the date you apply for the dividend and intend to remain a resident permanently. For more information, visit the Alaska Department of Revenue Permanent Fund Dividend Division website.

Does the State of Alaska provide any other exemptions or discounts to Veterans?

Yes. A disabled Veteran who qualifies for disabled Veteran license plates in the State of Alaska may also receive an exemption of Motor Vehicle Registration Taxes or registration fees for one vehicle with special plates. Any additional vehicle and plates are required to pay full fees.

Employment Benefits

Does the State of Pennsylvania offer a Hiring Preference for Veterans applying for State Employment?

Yes. In instances where a numerical rating system is used, Veterans will receive 5 percent of the total points available added to their score. Disabled Veterans or former Prisoners of War will receive 10 percent of the total points available added to their score. In cases where numerical ratings are not used, Veterans will be give consideration (entire application will be reviewed) and all disabled Veterans or Prisoners of War will be given the opportunity to interview.

In order to be eligible for a Hiring Preference in the State of Alaska, a Veteran must be honorably discharged with 181 days or more of active service in the United States Armed Forces, with service 1) between 27 June 1950 and 14 October 1976 or, 2) where an expedition medal, campaign badge, Purple Heart, or award or decoration for heroism or gallantry in action was awarded, or 3) be a disabled Veteran entitled to compensation from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, 181 days or more in the Alaska Territorial Guard, honorably discharged or released from active duty due to a service-connected disability or disabled in the line of duty while serving in the Alaska Territorial Guard; or former Prisoner of War.

Does the State of Alaska allow Veterans to use their active military service time towards Retirement after they become a State Employee?

Yes. Eligible individuals may receive up to five years of Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS) credit for their active military service. Eligible individuals must be honorably discarded from the U.S. Armed Forces and vested in the PERS. A service member’s surviving spouse may also be eligible. Service members are not eligible if they were hired under the PERS after 30 June 1986, retired from regular service, and are eligible for federal benefit for the same military service. However, retired National Guard and Reserve members may be eligible to claim active military service even though they may receive federal benefits for the same service.

What is the Priority of Service for Veterans provided by the State of Alaska?

Priority of Service means that Veterans and their eligible spouses receive priority over others in receiving employment offers, training and placement services under a qualified job training program. Contact your local Alaska Job Center at (877) 724-2539 or visit their website: Alaska Job Center Network for more information.

What Employment Assistance does the State of Alaska provide Veterans?

The Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development operates 21 Job Centers throughout the State. On-site Veteran Representatives are located at the Anchorage (Midtown and Muldoon) Fairbanks, and Wasilla Job Centers. Some of the services provided at Alaska Job Centers include:

  • Priority Job Referral
  • Career Counseling
  • Career Assessment
  • Employment Assessment
  • Job Development
  • Labor Market Information
  • Education Assessment
  • Job Search Workshops
  • Special Programs
  • Testing
  • Referral to Educational Services
  • Resume Assistance

To find the Alaska Job Center nearest you, call (877) 724-2539 or visit the Alaska Job Center Network website.

Education Benefits

Does the State of Alaska offer Education Benefits to Veterans?

Yes. Veterans eligible for Education Benefits through the Veterans Administration, along with their spouse and dependent children, are eligible to receive resident tuition at any University of Alaska school. Active Duty Military Personnel, Members of the National Guard, and their spouses and dependent children are also eligible for resident tuition. Qualifying students must reside in Alaska during their course studies.

Does the State of Alaska offer Education Benefits to Dependents or Survivors of Veterans?

Yes. Spouses and dependents of Armed Service Members who died in the line of duty or as a result of their injuries sustained in the line of duty or who were classified by the Department of Defense as a Prisoner of War or Missing in Action are eligible to receive a waiver of all undergraduate tuition and fees at state supported educational institutes located in Alaska.

What is the State of Alaska’s Operation Recognition Program?

Operation Recognition is a nation-wide effort that grants high school diplomas to the many service members who left high school to serve in World War II and never returned to receive their high school diploma. To be eligible, Veterans must have served between the period of 7 August 1940 to 25 July 1947, must have been honorably discharged, died in active service, or were discharged due to a service-related disability. If Veteran is deceased or incapacitated, a family member may apply on the Veterans behalf. For more information, visit the Alaska Office of Veteran Affairs Education Benefits website.

Other Alaska State Benefits for Veterans

License Plates

Alaska honors active duty Service Members or Veterans who have served with special license plates. To be eligible, Veterans, Service Members or eligible family members must show proof of service and pay a $30 fee with their initial application. Plates honoring those that are designated as Prisoner of War (POW), Pearl Harbor Survivor, Purple Heart or Gold Star Family are provided at no cost. The different plates available include:

Veteran Plate- Specifies the specific branch of military service with the word “Veteran”; or a Unit Designator Personalized Veteran Plate with approved military unit organizations insignia;

National Guard Distinctive Plate- Active Members of Alaska National Guard are eligible to receive National Guard Distinctive Plates for one vehicle they solely or jointly own;

Purple Heart Plate- Recipients of the Purple Heart Award are eligible for one set of plates free of charge for use on a motor vehicle;

Pearl Harbor Plate- Veterans who participated in Pearl Harbor are eligible to receive one set of plates for use on a motor vehicle;

Gold Star Family Plate- Spouses, parents, guardians, siblings or dependents of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces killed in the line of duty are eligible to receive a Gold Star Family Plate;

Ex-Prisoner of War Plate- Veterans who were former Prisoners of War may receive one set of POW plates, free of charge, for use on a non-commercial vehicle.

Disabled Veteran With Parking Privileges- Eligible Disabled Veterans may receive a Free Disabled Veteran Parking Permit and Disabled Veterans plates with the wheelchair log with documentation of their service-related disability from an agency of the U.S. Federal Government and an application documenting their mobility impairment completed by their Alaska licensed physician;

Disabled Veteran Without Parking Privileges- Eligible Veterans with a service-related disability that do not meet the criteria for parking privileges may receive a free Disabled Veteran License Plate without the wheelchair logo free of charge. To be eligible, Veterans must provide proof of a service-connected disability of 50% or more by a U.S. Government agency.

For more information, visit your locale Division of Motor Vehicles office, or the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles website.

Hunting and Fishing Licenses

Active duty military members may purchase hunting and fishing licenses at the resident rate once they have been stationed in the state for at least 12 consecutive months. If stationed for less than 12 months, nonresident rates apply.

Disabled Veterans who are residents of the State of Alaska, have been honorably discharged form military service, eligible for a loan under AS 18.56.101, and certified by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs as having a 50 percent or greater service-connected disability are eligible to receive a resident hunting and sport fishing license at no charge. Veterans who served in the Alaska Territorial Guard, incurred a 50 percent or greater disability during such service and are eligible for a loan under AS 18.56.101 may also receive a resident hunting and sport fishing license at no charge. Contact your local fish and wildlife office or visit the Alaska Department of Fish and Game website for more information.

State Veteran Loans

Alaska Housing Finance Corporation offers loan programs that help Veterans purchase single-family residences, or with some restrictions, a duplex, triplex or fourplex. Veterans who meet “State Vet” Income Limits may also be eligible to receive a reduced interest rate of 1% on the first $50,000 of the purchase price. For more information, visit Alaska Housing Finance Corporation’s Veterans Program website.

Recording Veterans Report of Separation Form

A Veteran may record, free of charge, the original or a certified copy of their Armed Forces Report of Separation (DD-214 Form, NGB For 22 or DA Form 1569) at any State Recorder. Visit the Alaska Department of Natural Resource’s Recorder's Office website for more information and to find the Recorder’s Office nearest you.

State Camping Pass

An eligible Disabled Alaskan Veteran (DAV) may receive one Alaska State Park Camping Pass free of charge. The DAV Camping Pass is valid at all Alaska State Park campgrounds and must be renewed every two years.

To be eligible, the disable Veteran must present proof of their service connected disability and Alaskan residency at either the Fairbanks or Anchorage DNR Public Information Centers. A current letter from the US Department of Veterans Affairs that lists the Veteran’s service connected disability and is signed by a Veteran Service Officer or a Veteran’s Administration Patient Data Card imprinted with “service connected disability” must be used to provide evidence of a service connected disability. For more information, visit Alaska’s Division of Parks & Outdoor Recreation Disabled Veteran's Annual Camping Pass website.

Alaska Marine Highway Pass

Veterans with a documented service-related disability are eligible to receive an Alaska Marine Highway Pass for passage on ferries on all vessels between Alaska ports. The pass provides a 50% discount on the regular passenger fair and must be renewed each year. For more information, visit the Alaska Marine Highway System website.

Alaska Railroad Discount

The Alaska Railroad offers a a 20% fare discount to retired military service members, active duty duty service members and their dependents. Proof of service must be provided at boarding. For more information, visit Alaska Railroad website.

Burial Benefits

There are currently no State Cemeteries in the State of Alaska. In July 2014, the State of Alaska purchased a 320-acre hillside overlooking the Goldstream Valley near Fairbanks for the purpose of building a veterans cemetery.

Currently, there are two National VA Cemeteries located in Alaska:

Fort Richardson National Cemetery
Bldg 58-512 Davis Hwy
Fort Richardson, AK 99505
Phone: 907-384-7075
Fax: 907-384-7111

Sitka National Cemetery
803 Sawmill Creek Road
Sitka, AK 99835
Phone: 907-384-7075
Fax: 907-384-7111

For more information, visit the cemetery links listed above.

Veteran and Pioneers Home

Seventy-five percent of the 79 beds at the Alaska Veterans and Pioneers Home in Palmer are designated for Veterans. The Alaska Veterans and Pioneers Home provides assisted living in a safe home setting and promotes independence, positive relationships, meaningful activities and physical, emotional and spiritual growth. The following services are available at the home:

  • Private or semi-private rooms
  • Recreational opportunities
  • Meals and housekeeping services
  • Emergency assistance
  • Physical activities
  • Daily living assistance
  • Nursing assessment and intermittent health services depending upon level of care
  • Payment assistance for those that qualify
  • Pharmacy services

Honorably discharged Veterans who are at least 65 and require assisted living care are eligible for admission. Prior to application, the Veteran must have resided in Alaska for a minimum of one year. For more information and to apply, visit the Alaska Veterans & Pioneers Home website or call (907) 745-4241 to have an application packet sent via mail.

Veteran Centers

Anchorage Veterans Center

4400 Business Park Blvd, Suite B-32
Anchorage, AK 99503
(907) 563-6966
(877) 927-8387
Fax: (907) 561-7183

Fairbanks Veterans Center

540 4th Ave., Suite 100
Fairbanks, AK 99701
(907) 456-4238
(877) 927-8387
Fax: (907) 456-0475

Wasilla Veterans Center

851 E. West Point Drive Suite 102
Wasilla, AK 99654
(907) 376-4318
(877) 927-8384
Fax: (907) 373-1883

Kenai Veterans Center

43299 Kalifornsky Beach Rd. Ste 4
Soldotna, AK 99669
(907) 260-7640
(877) 927-8384
Fax: (907) 260-7642

VA Community Based Outpatient Services


(907) 361-5242
(888) 353-5242


(907) 631-3100
(866) 323-8648


(907) 395-4100
(877) 797-8924


(907) 796-4300
(888) 308-7890

Anchorage VA Outpatient Clinic

(907) 257-4700

Get Started Today

Your dream home is a call away